How to Apply Knock Down Texture Wall texture works for ceiling.

Knock down texture is a fast fix for problem ceiling

Textured Walls Overview: How to texture a ceiling

Ceilings are notorious for showing flaws. Light shining across that large, uninterrupted surface accentuates every pockmark in the drywall mud, every little ridge left by the paint roller.

The usual way to mask these troubles is to spray on acoustical “popcorn” texture. But I go with a “knockdown” texture on most ceilings, whether they’re new drywall, old plaster or a repaired ceiling of any type. The beauty of knockdown drywall texture is that it not only hides imperfections but also creates a more subtle look than heavier textures. A typical ceiling takes less than an hour to texture and costs less than $20 in materials. Best of all, it’s almost impossible to get a how to texture drywall project wrong—as long as you follow a few simple steps. To spray on the texture, I use a small electric texture gun. But a gun powered by an air compressor will work just as well to get textured walls.

How to texture a ceiling: Prep the room

You can wipe up a ceiling texture or wall texture mess with a wet rag, but preventing a mess is a lot faster. Remove all furniture from the room, as well as floor coverings, light fixtures and wall hangings. I like to cover the floor with rosin paper instead of drop cloths because I can roll up the entire mess at the end of the job and drop it straight into the trash. I overlap each course of rosin paper about 6 in. and tape the seams before texturing walls.

Next, mask the top edges of the walls with 1-1/2-in. masking tape. Press the top half of the tape in a straight line along the top of the walls, just under the ceiling line. To the bottom half of the tape, adhere inexpensive 0.8 mil plastic drop cloths, “bagging” the entire room.

How to texture a ceiling: Paint now, or later

You can apply knockdown texture to bare drywall and paint over it later. But I prime and paint the ceiling first, then texture it and leave the texture unpainted. The slight color contrast between flat white ceiling paint and the off-white texture gives ceilings a nice dimensional depth. As a bonus, I don’t have to sweat lap marks or flash marks when painting. The texture will hide those imperfections. Depending on the humidity, the ceiling can be ready to texture in as little as three hours after painting.

How to texture a ceiling: Mix up the mud

Mix up the mud and load up the hopper

Aim for the consistency of pancake batter. Mix up more than you think you’ll need. Better to waste some mud than to run out before you’re done.

I add about 2 in. of water to a clean 2-gallon pail (an ice cream pail is ideal) and mix unaggregated texture powder into it. For knockdown texture, never use mix that contains aggregate. Continue to add water and powder until you have a bit more mix than you think you’ll need. Approximately 1-1/2 gallons of mix is adequate for a 10 x 14-ft. room.

Here’s a crucial step for this how to texture drywall project: Set the mix aside for about 15 minutes to allow for complete water absorption. Otherwise, the mix will thicken in the hopper. It won’t spray and you’ll have to clean it out and start over. After this “slaking” period, add a bit more water and remix. The final consistency should resemble pancake batter. A mix that’s too thick won’t spray well, so it’s better to error toward a slightly thinner consistency.

How to texture a ceiling: Practice, then spray

Blast the ceiling

When spraying texture onto a white ceiling, it’s easy to skip some areas and overdo others. For consistent ceiling textures coverage, work across the room in a 3 x 3-ft. grid pattern.

After filling the hopper, I spray a test pattern on the wall plastic. Since months may pass between my knockdown projects, I have to relearn the feel of the spray gun. My goal is to achieve roughly 40 percent coverage. A knockdown finish depends on leaving about 60 percent open space so that the splatters can be “knocked down” to create the desired effect. I use a coarse or medium tip for my splatter application.

After my test run, I spray the ceiling. Spraying an average-size room takes less than 10 minutes. Hold the gun about 18 in. from the ceiling and work in blocks about 3 ft. square. Try to avoid overlap where these blocks meet, but don’t worry about a little overlap.

Do worry about too much coverage: Keep the gun in motion to avoid spraying any area too heavily. Knocking down the splatters later will greatly increase the area that the mix covers. So it’s better to go with lighter coverage than heavier.

If a room is larger than 225 sq. ft., I only spray and knock down half the ceiling at one time. That prevents the mix from drying before it can be knocked down.

By the Family Handman

1 Comment

  1. admin

    Very Interesting, thanks for posting this.

Leave a reply